The Catcher in the Rye
The Controversial Book
* A 1951 novel by J. D. Salinger.
* It has since become popular with adolescent readers for its themes of teenage confusion, angst, alienation, and rebellion.
* It has been translated into almost all of the world's major languages.
* Around 250,000 copies are sold each year, with total sales of more than 65 million books.
* The novel's protagonist and antihero, Holden Caulfield, has become an icon for teenage rebellion.
* The novel was included on Time's 2005 List of the 100 Best English-Language Novels Written Since 1923, and it was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 Best English-Language Novels of the 20th Century.